Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Happiness is a warm basket of chips.

Restaurant:  Amigo's Tex Mex, Waterford Lakes
Companion(s): The Princess

Warm puppies are great and all, but with all due respect to Charles Schulz,  they won't put an end to the rumbling in my stomach... Well, maybe they would in some parts of the world, but I prefer my dogs to be of the all beef "hot" variety, with mustard and relish, or better yet chili and cheese.  

When I asked the Princess what she wanted for dinner, she said "I want to go somewhere with warm chips".  As you have probably figured by now, I'm not one to turn down food of the Mexican/Tex-Mex variety, so I found myself sitting beneath giant mariachi frog statues, munching warm, crispy chips with two kinds of salsa, a traditional tomato salsa, and a fiery salsa verde.  The chips were happiness indeed, but sadly no horchata to wash it down (the waiter didn't even know what it was) The sign does say Tex-Mex, however, not Mexican food, so I shouldn't be surprised.  They did have some other nice happy hour specials, however I chose to pass them up.

The menu has a nice selection of dishes... the only thing missing was a "build your own combination plate".  The Princess always gets fajitas, so I was quite surprised when she ordered the quesadillas.  However her fajitas consist of meat, cheese and tortillas, with a little sour cream, so for her quesadillas are a bonus... no waste, and the cheese is melted.  She loved them and since there was one triangle left (at least before I snagged it), I can agree, they were tasty.  I had "Mom's Favorite" (a combination plate with a cheese enchilada and a tamale topped with chili (not the same as a hot dog, but I'll try anything once).  The cheese enchilada, along with the rice and beans were standard fare (I swear every Mexican restaurant I go to gets their beans and rice from the same from the same inter-dimensionally connected kitchen).  However the tamale rocked (well, maybe reggaetoned).  I hate tamales when they are almost solid massa, with just a touch of meat in them.  This one was nice and meaty in the middle (like me) and topped with a decent chili.  Sadly, no room for dessert.

Prompt and courteous service and fair prices make this a safe bet if you are in the Waterford area and want something of the "local chain" variety, this family owned establishment (with 5 locations in the area) is sure to please.  I give it 6 1/2 bowls of warm chips... Really seven, but I couldn't help myself (crunch).


No comments: