Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sushi Katana not quite a cut above, but they shouldn't fall on their sword either.

Restaurant:  Sushi Katana, Conroy Road, near Millennia.
Companions: None

Last week I found myself attending training down near the Mall at Millennia, on a lunch break with time to kill.  Any ninja will tell you that few things kill better than a good katana,  so it was that I found myself  strolling in to the aptly named Sushi Katana for a leisurely lunch before returning to listen to some overpaid Ph.D. speaking on how to teach adults.  While her information was good, she also could stand to take her own class.  Boring enough to make one briefly consider ritual sepuku.

I liked the decor-typical Japanese modern,  and as I was dining alone, was greatly appreciative of the flat panel high definition TVs airing the US open playoffs, above the Itamae's (chef's) head.  They had a number of tasty sounding lunch specials, and I settled for an Omakase (chef's choice) consisting of 6 pieces of nigiri sushi, and and (ever present) California roll, along with Miso soup.  The miso soup was typical of what is found in American Japanese restaurants, with shiromiso (white miso), tofu, scallions and wakame (seaweed).  Competently executed, but average.  The sushi itself was of similar quality.  Well done, but nothing spectacular.  The service was attentive, friendly, and prompt, and the bill came to $12 with tax and a generous tip.

This is not a sushi bar I would drive across town to visit.  However if you're in the area, and want a well done, quick, tasty sushi lunch at a price that won't kill your wallet, grab your clan of ninjas and stealthily stroll on in.  I give it 6 1/2 shuriken.

No comments: