Thursday, June 19, 2008

Emiliano'Z does a heroic job of bringing traditional Mexican cuisine to Central Florida

Restaurant:  Emiliano'Z, near 436 & 434, Altamonte Springs, FL
Companion(s):  The Old Master

In the shell of a building that was once a Shell's restaurant, now resides a restaurant named after a Mexican folk hero.  Emiliano'Z serves up some tasty Mexican fare, in a beautiful setting with outstanding lake views.   The Old Master and I ever vigilant for what passes for Mexican food in these parts, decided to have Father's Day dinner at a relatively new Mexican Restaurant in Altamonte Springs.

I was immediately impressed by the atmosphere inside, with strings of lights on the ceiling, a fountain in the middle of the restaurant, and of course those aforementioned views.  However as nice as the atmosphere was, I was there for the food... I'm not the Atmosphere Buddha after all.

Drinks first... a glance through the menu didn't reveal a list of non-alcoholic drinks, but as it was a Mexican restaurant, I took a chance and asked if they had one of my favorite beverages of all time... horchata, and was pleasantly surprised to find they did!  For the uninitiated horchata is (at least in Mexico) made from rice, water, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar.  Strange, I know, but it is truly tasty stuff, and dairy free, though it sure doesn't taste that way.  Also notable is their Tequila selection with over 40 to choose from, including several super premium Anjehos ($30 a pour in one case).  

Sadly many folks think of Tequila as some vile, harsh drinkable Mexican paint thinner, only fit to be chugged rapidly with salt and lime, so why in God's name would you pay $30 for the privilege?  GOOD tequila, such as a reposado or anjeho are aperitif drinks, meant t be sipped before dinner, and the complexities found in good tequila are there, like a fine scotch or good wine.  I was pleasantly surprised when a gentleman with a push cart arrived and offered us a free pour (only a bohemian shoots tequila, so I refuse to call it a shot).  Though the Old Master declined, I was all to happy to accept.  After as he handed me a glass, I asked the server what I was drinking, as there were several bottles on the cart, and have an appreciation for distilled blue Agave liquor.  I confess I was a little disappointed to learn it was The Budweiser of tequila, Jose Cuervo.  But hey, free Tequila is free Tequila, though in this case the salt and lime were quite necessary.  

Life is like chips and Salsa at a Mexican Restaurant... sometimes it sucks.  Fortunately the only thing sucking at this point was me on the lime as I imbibed my passable paint thinner.  The salsa was just how I like it, somewhat liquid, but with enough chunky consistency to not feel like I was dipping into spicy tomato soup.  Nice heat, but not brutal. The chips were crisp, and had just the right amount of salt.

Both the Old Master and I ordered the mole poblano, which consists of chicken in a sauce made of chocolate and chilies among other things.  Now at this point you are probably ready to call for the men in little white coats, as chocolate covered chicken sounds about as appetizing as cinnamon rice water, and the idea of a Hershey bar melted over poultry does sound pretty disgusting, but remember that chocolate is actually bitter, and there is more to it than just chocolate and chili peppers.  This mole was pretty good, though a little salty.  Mine is better, but it is rare to find truly spectacular mole, and this charted higher than many versions I've tried.  The beans and rice that accompanied it were tasty and typical for a Mexican restaurant... thankfully the rice wasn't too dry.

As it was Father's Day, they brought the Old Master a complementary sopapilla, with chocolate and caramel drizzle.  Though quite full, of course we found room.  Slightly over-fried, but tasty just the same.

A little pricier than most Mexican restaurants, but you are paying for the atmosphere and the view, and for a special occasion or a good date restaurant, definitely worth it.  I give the food itself 6 1/2 chips dipped in salsa, but we throw in a lime wedge, making the overall experience a 7.  Viva Zapata!

No comments: