Sunday, April 13, 2008

Qdoba takes its Q from all of the other burrito stands out there, but does a better job than most.

Restaurant: Qdoba - Lake Mary Blvd. & 17-92, Lake Mary, FL.
Companion(s): The Old Master

It seems to me that in the recent past if you wanted a decent burrito, you went to your local Hacienda de Torture Picante, ponied up your dinero and enjoyed said Burrito, sit down style in a real restaurant.  If you were in a hurry, your only choice was Taco Bell.  Now it seems like burritos are the new sub.  Everywhere I look there is a "you call it, we make it as you follow your food down the assembly line, a la Subway" style semi-fast food burrito/Tex-Mex shop everywhere you look.  I've tried most of them, some of which will find themselves written up here as they are tasty enough to warrant my repeat business.  Others will not grace these "pages" as I see no reason to spend my hard earned money on them just to give them a bad review.  I write these shortly after dining at an establishment, while my thoughts are as fresh as the salsa should be.  As a general rule, I'm not going to blog retroactively.  But I digress.  

The Old Master is somewhat to blame for my love of Tex-Mex cuisine, and both he and I grew up in the southwest.  So when he mentioned trying Qdoba to me, as neither of us had eaten there before, I figured it might be a worth checking out.  My first impression is that is just like any other, you call it we make it burrito stand.  Clean, not too busy (surprising for the dinner rush... hopefully not a bad sign, I thought to myself) and an eclectic mix of 80's music playing in the background (always a bonus in my book).  The Old Master went with the Steak Burrito no rice, both types of beans (pinto and black), and hot salsa, while I went with the new shredded pork burrito, black beans, rice cheese and mild salsa.  We also decided to split an order of chips and salsa (medium).  All in all about what I would expect in terms of flavor and quality.  The online menu mentioned a number of salsas, but while there all I was asked was, "mild, medium or hot?" with no clue what any of them were.  Please to look up brand consistency in dictionary, Qdoba folks.

Overall, reasonable tasty... I'd be willing to go back, but not somewhere I'd drive out of my way for.  On a scale of 1-10, (10 being best), I give it 6 Sombreros.

No comments: