Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mr. Fudd responds

A Food Buddha follow-up:

OK kids, about week ago I panned my recent trip to Fuddrucker's and true to my word e-mailed (well actually web page comment form-ed) their corporate HQ with the contents there-in.  They responded by forwarding my comments to the Orlando Franchise owner who emailed me as well.  Out of a sense of fair play, I have included his email to me, names and phone numbers omitted of course to protect his privacy.  My response to him follows that, for your reading pleasure.  I sincerely accept and appreciate his apology, as well as his offer of a free meal to make up for it.  However I stand by my reasons below.

Dear Mr Buddha....

Firstly I would like to apologize for your visit to my store. It hurts me to think that I was having that off of a night, that I was not seeing everything that you saw and that effected your visit. If you have anymore information regarding your visit, please share it with me, and also I would like to invite you to come back to the resturant, on us of course.

Again please accept my apologizes for not meeting the standard that evening.


Pleae feel free to contact me at (number omitted) or via email also.


Thank you for your time,
(Name omitted)

Fuddruckers Festival Bay


Dear Mr. (name omitted),

      Thank you for your response.  As I said in my blog, I understand that things get busy and condiments run out, but what I saw was excessive.  Much of what I noticed could be easily fixed by having your employees make more regular checks of the condiment stations, rest rooms, etc. and not waiting until they are completely empty to refill them.  I admit I have no clue what your operational realities were that evening.  Maybe you were short on staff, maybe I came in after 4 cheerleading teams had just left.  The one thing that I do know is that there was no one on the floor doing checks.  That is painfully obvious from the VAST number of shortages we saw, both in terms of consumables on the floor and the women's rest room (I reiterate NO Toilet paper, paper towels, OR soap in ANY stall or dispenser).  The backwards burger patties was just icing on the cake (or maybe ketchup on the fries).  Could be a mistake, could be lack of training or procedures.

     While I do accept your apology, and as I know what a Fuddrucker's experience is SUPPOSED to be like, you can rest assured I will be back.  However if you want to make it right, a free meal isn't what I'm looking for.  It is my hope instead that you will fix the problems I found with your restaurant, train your managers, train your staff, and make sure the management team is out on the floor leading from the front instead of sitting in the back giving orders and hoping the restroom are clean. 

     Please realize that my turning down your offer of a free meal is not an intended as an affront, or out of any sense of disdain for your restaurant.  Rather it is out of a sense of both personal and journalistic integrity, and integrity is sorely lacking in this day and age.  Few things annoy me more as both a diner and former service industry worker than some a-hole causing a scene or complaining about something just to try and scam a free dessert or meal.  The purpose of my blog (though new still small) is to encourage a high standard in the restaurant industry, and to turn people on to restaurants that are truly exceptional (the 8's 9's and 10's) in the very selfish hope that the will be successful and remain open, so I can continue to enjoy dining there with my family and friends

Rest assured that upon my next visit if I find anything unreasonably amiss, I will ask for you by name. 


Wishing you much success in your future endeavors, I remain respectfully,

The Food Buddha 

Happy dining dear readers.  May your dinner be cooked to your liking.

No comments: