Friday, July 4, 2008

Fudd's is a dud

Restaurant: Fuddrucker's - Festival Bay, International Drive, Orlando, FL
Companion(s):  The Princess

You may think that my opening string of average to great reviews makes me a pushover of a food critic.  If you think I'm sitting on the fence, or maybe just trying to be nice, read on at your own peril.  To quote Alan Parsons, sitting on fences can make you a pain in the @$$.  I have high standards, and to get high marks (8+) you have to really impress me.  To get a 10, you have to blow me away.  I call them like I see them, and my recent visit to Fuddrucker's Thursday, July 3, 2008 left me seeing red.

Fuddrucker's bills itself at the world's greatest hamburgers. I don't know if I'd go that far, but is usually a safe bet for a good burger.  Not so on my recent visit there with The Princess.  
She got a cheddar cheese burger, medium, I got the Bacon Cheddar Special, medium well.  Two fries, two drinks.  This should have been a no-brainer.  Everything was great until after I ordered.  This was around 9:00.  They were still open for at least another hour, and folks were coming in after us.  We went for drinks while our food cooked, only to find no ice in either soda machine.  One machine out, no biggie.  Even two out, no biggie.  Sometimes things get busy and stuff gets missed.  I can accept that.  4 minutes later, somebody showed up with some ice.  I went for the sweet tea, they were out.  When I went to the counter for our food,  my burger had two of the skimpiest pieces of bacon I've ever seen on it.  Limp, not crispy.  I headed to the sauce bar, and 5 of 8 sauce dispensers was empty (one katsup, yellow mustard, and (I think) BBQ sauce were left, no spicy mustard, no mayo.  After waiting 3-4 minutes, seeing no one even to ask, and with several other customers standing around obviously annoyed, I gave up and settled for yellow mustard.  One of two cheese dispensers was almost empty (the cheese trickled out like molasses on a cold morning).  At least they had pickle slices.  So I sat down and bit into my burger and it was much pinker than I was expecting, while the Princess's was bordering on well done (I'm referring to the cooking  temperature, certainly not quality).  They got the patties backwards.  "Well, it looks like the Food Buddha is about to write his first bad review", I said to her.  After a post dinner visit to the lady's room she agreed... No toilet paper, no soap, no paper towels.  

Come on people, WTF?!?!? Can you say health code violation?  I have to blame management.  Maybe when I email this to corporate, they will take action.  One thing is for sure anything would be an improvement.  I expect better than this from Fuddrucker's and have often expereinced it, but after this visit, it will be a while before I go back.  Especially at those prices.  Sonic is across the street, their burgers are great, and their prices and drinks are better.  At least Fuddrucker's got the seasoned fries right, even if there were fewer of them than usual.  I give it two puny strips of bacon, of a possible ten.

No comments: