Saturday, April 16, 2011

Art's BBQ... edible, but not art.

Restaurant: Art's Bar-B-Q Altamonte Springs, FL, Near Crane's Roost Park


Companions: The Old Master, Jasmine


OK, so it's the Old Master's Birthday, and besides Mexican food, he Loves Bar-B-Q. Quite the 'Cue connoisseur, when he tells me he has found the best 'Cue since he has been in Florida, I'm definitely intrigued. In my mind, as my regular readers know, not much can beat Keller's (see the previous post). So Jasmine and I head on up to Altamonte Springs, to spend some time with him, celebrate his 77th birthday, and hope to be impressed. Well, Y'all (in my best southern, 'cue lovin', rib munchin' accent) we ain't. Maybe it was just the hype, or maybe I'm spoiled, but Keller's has this place beat by a mile. Don't get me wrong, they did do some things well, but there were a few places where they just fell flatter than a frog on I-4 during rush hour.


Tips on foursquare warned us that the service was slow, and the people were rude. I'm pleased to report very firendly staff, and while the food did take a bit to come out, I suspect it was because some things wree being made fresh to order (Like my fried okra). Which seemed like it was commercially breaded, but better than most non-homemade I have had and seemed fresh out of the frier. The baked beans totally rocked. Great and unusual flavor. picked peppers or something in them, great sauce. Probably the best thing I had there. The St. Louis Style Rips were tender and meaty, and the sauce was good, but NOT Keller's ribs or sauce. Both The Old Master and I had those, and he always doubles up on beans. Here, I can see why. Jasmine's Collard Greens were fair. The coleslaw was way too mayonnaisy and typical of the bad coleslaw found in most BBQ places. Her Pulled pork was well done and had a nice flavor. So far, fair and forgivable, but then they dropped the ball big time. Her sandwich should have been on a bun, but was served with white bread, as were the other dinners. I Wonder who decided to serve Wonder bread instead of Texas toast? In a BBQ restaurant IMO, you've got two bread choices... homemade/parker house/(or even Kings Hawaiian) rolls or Texas Toast. These geniuses give you white bread I wouldn't even feed the ducks down at Crane's roost Park?!?!? I lost all respect for this place when I saw that. A friend pointed out it is part of some Southern BBQ traditions, and he does have a point... but for the sandwich? Really??? I'm giving you an F, Art, because your choice of bread stinks, and has nothing to do with the after effects of the beans. And let's face it... you're going to have sticky fingers after eating BBQ... no moist towelettes? Really? You afraid your patrons with sticky fingers are going to sticky finger a bunch of towelettes for their car or purse? Art isn't a very trusting guy, apparently. At least bring us ONE with dinner then, if you can't leave us a bucket full of them on the table.


The atmosphere was part fast food joint themed BBQ shack, but part Memphis Blues, with pix of blues greats on the walls and blues playing in the background. The thing that really gave me the blues was the white bread and lack of towelettes. The Old Master enjoyed his Birthday dinner, though, and that is what counts I suppose.


Good meat and sauce, fair sides other than the beans (which do rock), and a fail on anything on the table that was white (coleslaw, towelettes, and bread). I'm giving Art's 7 used napkins, because I needed that many, and a trip to the washroom to clean my fingers.

No comments: