Saturday, July 24, 2010

Mad about (Cafe) Madrid

Restaurant: Cafe Madrid, Conway and Curry Ford, Orlando
Companion(s): Jasmine

Driving down Curry Ford Road in Orlando, you see lots of little restaurants and hole in the wall places, many of them Spanish (linguistically, in reality it's mostly Cuban, and Puerto Rican, with some Mexican and other Spanish speaking countries thrown into the mix for fun). Cafe Madrid is just another one of those unremarkable little hole in the wall (or storefront in the shopping center) little places, and quite frankly it isn't that remarkable when you walk in either. It's clean, sparsely decorated, and wholly average in appearance. It would make a good spy (if restaurants could conduct espionage) because it just blends in so well. Jasmine is a foodie and has lived in Orlando most of her life. She has family in the Conway area who have been there for years, and currently lives in the area herself. Yet in all of the years she has been driving past, she has never bothered to go in, despite the fact she says it has always looked busy.

This however is where average ends and "Oh my Buddha" (Oh my Me?) begins. The smells wafting from the kitchen hit me like the freight train from Inception, knocking me into another reality, and a very tasty one at that. The service is very attentive, but the reason to go to any restaurant should be the food, and Cafe Madrid's food is almost as good as getting ole'd. They feature a mix of Cuban, Spanish, and Basque cuisine, and no matter how you translate it, it comes out to "Muy Bueno."

Jasmine ordered the grouper special, which came with the garlic shrimp entree off of the menu. I got to try a couple of bites and really wish I had ordered it... it would have maybe made my top 10 meals of all time list. That is not to say that my meal was lacking, however. Seeing Pernil on the menu made me want to eat (like a) pig, so I ordered it and did exactly that. Quite succulent and tasty.

Every entree comes with salad (the house dressing rocks my socks), rice (great yellow rice... why waste your time with white rice in a spanish restaurant unless you are pouring your black beans over it) and of course the just mentioned black beans. Holy frijoles, Batman. These are some seriously bad ass black beans... some of the best I've ever had, and worth the trip by themselves. And if these aren't enough, you also get your choice of tostones or maduros. I can't comment on the Tostones, because we both love Maduros, and these were quite good. Some really great cuban bread was also brought to the table.

Jasmine ordered Sangria, and after having a sip of hers, I had to order one too. Again, some of the best I've ever had. Not terribly strong, but the flavor was superb! I really wish I had had room for dessert, but there was easily enough food left over from both of our plates for lunch the next day, so you can bet there was no room left in even my big belly for some dulces.

So how much would you pay? Most of the entrees were in the $9-11 range... no mierda! Jasmine's special was $20, but worth every penny, and seafood isn't cheap.

Were I grading it like a school teacher, I'd consider giving it a si (which translates to "A" in my book... and that's a Fonzie kind of "Aaaaaaa!" not a Canadian "Eh", just to clarify. Since I rate everything on a different scale (and not the ones from Jasmine's fish) however, I'm giving it 9 big chunks of fruit in my sangria.

No comments: